As the primaries come to a conclusion and the candidates for the 2022 elections are selected, the strategy of the Republican Party has become clear. Despite the fact that every court, every recount, and every honest accounting has shown that the 2020 elections were completely fair, the GOP has, in almost all cases, nominated slates of 2020 election deniers across the board. This incudes an overwhelming number of candidates for Governor, Attorney General, or Secretary of State:
- Geoff Diehl for Governor in Massachusetts (likely)
- Rayla Campbell for Secretary of State in Massachusetts
- Lee Zeldin for Governor in New York
- Doug Mastriano for Governor in Pennsylvania
- Dan Cox for Governor in Maryland
- Michael Peroutka for Secretary of State in Maryland
- Alan Wilson for Secretary of State in South Carolina (Incumbent)
- Wes Allen for Secretary of State in Alabama
- Bill Lee for Governor in Tennessee (Incumbent)
- Greg Abbot for Governor in Texas (Incumbent)
- Ken Paxton for Attorney General in Texas (Incumbent)
- Ron DeSantis for Governor in Florida (Incumbent)
- Ashley Moody for Secretary of State in Florida (Incumbent)
- Tudor Dixon for Governor in Michigan
- Matthew DePerno for Attorney General in Michigan
- Kristina Karamo for Secretary of State in Michigan
- Diego Morales for Secretary of State in Indiana
- Tim Michels for Governor in Wisconsin
- Eric Toney for Attorney General in Wisconsin
- Amy Loudenbeck for Secretary of State in Wisconsin
- Kim Crockett for Secretary of State in Minnesota
- Audrey Trujillio for Secretary of State in New Mexico
- Jim Marchant for Secretary of State in Nevada
- Mark Finchem for Secretary of State in Arizona
- Kari Lake for Governor in Arizona
This list is far from comprehensive, and of course it does not include the massive numbers of GOP legislative candidates who deny that the 2020 election was fair – even in many cases when they were themselves elected to office!
These election deniers have all stated that the 2020 election was stolen and that, if elected to office, they will not let it happen again. But given that the 2020 election WAS fair, what they really mean is that, if elected, they will not certify any election unless their candidate wins. So, if they are in power their preferred candidates will be declared the winners in future elections despite the true will of the people.
In other words, if they are are given power, there will no longer be fair elections ever again in those states. The staggering number of GOP candidates who potentially could be given this power will collectively control enough states to dominate all future national elections. This year is our one and only chance to stop the Republicans from stealing democracy. The 2022 vote will determine if the United States remains a democracy or becomes an authoritarian theocracy.
Our entire future depends on the 2022 election. If the GOP gains control of enough state governments, we will never have free elections again. We must do EVERYTHING we can to elect Democrats.