The Democrats are afraid of the wrong thing. They remember that when the Republicans impeached Bill Clinton, the voters punished them mightily in the next election. They are afraid that if they vote to impeach Donald Trump, voters will reject them and they will lose the House – which is the only check they have on Trump.
But they are forgetting one thing – Bill Clinton’s “crime” was lying about sex – hardly a surprising thing in Washington. The voters punished the GOP because they badly overreached – trying to impose a political death penalty for a venial sin. Most voters may not be focused on what happens in Washington on a day-to-day basis, but they saw how wrong the GOP effort was and reacted as Americans do in attempting to right the wrong that had occurred.
At this point Donald Trump’s crimes are almost beyond counting. Here’s a sampling of what is known to date:
- Trump paid off multiple women so they would not expose his sexual misdeeds before the 2018 election – thereby committing election fraud.
- Trump lied about his Trump Moscow hotel deal repeatedly during the 2018 election – thereby committing election fraud.
- Trump’s tax returns that we have seen so far, clearly show that he committed tax fraud and lied about it to the American people.
- Trump’s tax returns and other probes into his business dealings showed that he made money by selling real estate to sanctioned Russian and other international buyers, thereby breaking US laws.
- Trump’s charitable foundation operated illegally to funnel money to Trump’s preferred politicians and to benefit himself.
- Trump’s business continue to rake in massive amounts of revenue from foreign governments in violation of the Emoluments clause of the Constitution.
- Trump and his election team attempted to conspire with the Russian government help him win the 2018 election. The only reason that Mueller did not make the accusation is that Trump’s team was too inept to pull it off.
- Trump actively obstructed the search for the truth of Russia’s attempt to sabotage our 2018 elections – the evidence in the Mueller report is crystal clear.
- Trump continues to impede our Nation’s ability to resist further Russian interference with the 2020 election – which is nothing short of traitorous.
- And the biggie – Trump withheld military assistance to Ukraine to get them to investigate the Biden family and to chase the ghost of Hillary Clinton’s server. This is as clear a betrayal of his oath of office as could be imagined.
The charge of impeachment is reserved for “high crimes and misdemeanors”. Every one of these crimes is of greater magnitude than the one crime that the GOP used to impeach Bill Clinton. It could easily be argued that every one of them is a high crime and each is individually grounds for impeachment.
There are undoubtedly many more crimes yet to be discovered – in the unredacted Mueller Report, in the remaining tax returns, in the Deutsche Bank records, in the testimonies of Don McGahn and in yet to be discovered whistle blower accounts. The Trump administration is using all its power to deny Congress access to these documents/testimonies because it knows they will expose more (and possibly greater) high crimes. Trump will use the courts to stall and delay – and given the relative power of the Executive branch, he may be able to delay release of many of these items for a year or two. If Trump can run out the clock on these requests until after the 2020 elections, he believes that he will have the power to make it all go away.
That’s why the time is now to Impeach. In so doing Congress greatly increases its leverage in court battles with the Administration, as the legitimate need for the documents would become undeniable. Much as Nixon’s impeachment case was built slowly and gradually, Nancy Pelosi and the House can use currently available material to lay the groundwork, and use new material to solidify the case.
When all the material is presented, there will be no question to the American people that the Democrats have grounds for Impeachment. Then the pressure will be on the Republicans in the Senate. Will they vote for the good of the USA, or will they vote for Donald Trump? If they vote for Donald Trump over country, the voters will again act to right the wrong and destroy the GOP in 2020. Trump will lose the 2020 election in a landslide – no matter who the Democratic candidate is.
The longer we wait to remove Trump from office, the more harm to this country he will do. he has betrayed our Country before. He will do it again. The danger is real.